No Marriage On The First Date

If you look for any product or service on the Internet today, then you’ll hear companies shouting phrases like “BUY NOW”, “CALL US NOW”, “ENQUIRE NOW”. Companies are shouting at the top of their voice to get you to buy from them.

Most of these companies you will not have encountered before. You probably haven’t even heard their name. So let me ask you a question with an obvious answer. If you were on a first date with someone you’d never met before and halfway through they dropped down on one knee and asked you to marry them, what would you say?

You’d say no! (I hope!).

6719561649_90de877148_z

You’d say no because you don’t know anything about them. You don’t know if you’d be a good fit together. You haven’t been given enough time to figure out if you actually like them. Not enough time has passed for you to know if you trust them.

Businesses do exactly the same thing. They ask you to buy now as soon as you meet them.

So what is the alternative? Well, you should do exactly the same as you’d do in a relationship – start with an easy to accept offer that allows them to get to know you a little, then as the relationship progresses, move to bigger and bigger offers gradually.

You can think of a “Buy Now” like a “Marry Me” on the first date. However, asking someone to enter their email to get some useful information on a topic is a bit more like asking, “Would you like to go on a date somewhere you’re interested in?”.

Obviously, just like in dating some people will reject the offer, but a lot more people will take it than your “Buy Now” offer.

So how do you go about creating some useful information for your prospects? Well, think about one of your products and the problem it solves for your customers. Then offer it on your website in exchange for their name and email address. Let’s say you sell drills. People don’t buy a drill because they want a drill, they buy one because they want to make a hole. So if you were selling drills you could offer people information about how to make different types of holes.

If someone comes to your website and urgently needs to buy what you have to offer then their going to buy from you there and then. That’s perhaps 3% of the people who visit your website. What about the other 97%? That’s why you create this low resistance offer to give them. You then continue to nurture the relationship via newsletters etc. so that when they are finally ready to buy what it is you sell, they will choose to buy from you.

Conclusion

The marriage analogy described above is a simplistic way of saying you need to understand the buying cycle of your customers, and make sure the right information (useful information) is available to them at the right time, throughout the cycle until they are ready to buy from you. Otherwise, they might be looking at you as though you’ve just dropped down on one knee within 30 seconds of meeting them.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *